Why is physical activity in the workplace important?
There are many compelling reasons. For example, 15 million Canadians spend one half of their waking hours at work. A majority cite time as their major impediment to increasing their physical activity. It is vital, therefore, to find ways of increasing physical activity to, from and at the workplace.
The latest Health Canada Population Health Survey shows that people who are inactive at work are also inactive at home. Research also indicates that there may be increased costs for organizations that have physically inactive employees. Some of these costs include: increased employee benefit costs, reduced productivity, and increased absenteeism.
Furthermore, workplaces that encourage regular physical activity report:
- Increased productivity and morale
- Reduced injury rates
- Better employee relations
- Improved job satisfaction and team spirit
- Improved employee health and fitness
Finally, being physically active can have a dramatic impact on your health. People who are physically active enjoy:
- Better health
- Improved fitness
- Better posture and balance
- Better self-esteem
- Weight control
- Stronger muscles and bones
- More energy
- Relaxation and reduced stress
- Continued independent living later in life